Notices
Series I Trouble Shooting This is the place to learn more about or discuss any issues you're having with your RX-8

Won't Crank

Old 12-07-2011, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Won't Crank

My rx8 has recently randomly not been starting. When this happens the starter will not crank or even click. I assumed the problem was a starter relay, and replaced that, but still no crank. Battery charge is good, so unless i'm missing something the problem would be the starter?
Old 12-07-2011, 10:51 AM
Registered

What is the voltage at the battery? If you don't have one Harbor Freight add I saw one free...

Last edited by Old Rotor; 12-07-2011 at 11:00 AM.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:58 AM

Not at home to test it atm, but the first thing i did was put a charger on it, and it read full charge. I can put a voltage meter to it tonight after i get out of work.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:00 AM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 109 Posts
When it simply doesnt start, do you have battery power to other stuff like lights, dash, etc?

What makes it then start later?
Old 12-07-2011, 11:04 AM
Registered

If you have corrosion on your battery terminals or starter connection ...it could be your starter..
Old 12-07-2011, 11:35 AM
Release the twins.

You should probably check the start solenoid clip first, if it's loose, it's likely intermittenly loosing contact, it could have come in contact with debris from the road.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by RIWWP
When it simply doesnt start, do you have battery power to other stuff like lights, dash, etc?

What makes it then start later?
Lights, dash, radio all work fine. As for when it would actually start, it was totally random, and i have not been able to start it in a week or so now.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Old Rotor
If you have corrosion on your battery terminals or starter connection ...it could be your starter..
No corrosion on starter, there was corrosion on battery terminals i cleaned off though.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:52 AM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 109 Posts
So you have battery power, but the starter isnt turning over. It's going to be the starter itself or something that feeds power to the starter. Do you have a multimeter you can crawl under the car with and check for voltage between the starter connection and ground? If it's getting power with the key to start, then it's your starter. If not, then fuse, relay, etc...
Old 12-07-2011, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by RIWWP
So you have battery power, but the starter isnt turning over. It's going to be the starter itself or something that feeds power to the starter. Do you have a multimeter you can crawl under the car with and check for voltage between the starter connection and ground? If it's getting power with the key to start, then it's your starter. If not, then fuse, relay, etc...
I replaced the starter relay so i would assume its not the problem and the fuel pump runs when i turn the key to start, so i would assume its good as well.
I can borrow a multimeter from work and start checking voltages at the starter/solenoid and check to see if any connections are loose tonight.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:26 PM
Metatron

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
Is it an auto? Could be a neutral switch problem.

Easy way to check if the prob is in the actual solenoid and motor is to bypass the relay.

FIRST ensure if it's a manual it's out of gear!

Check the 30 amp 'ACC' fuse, this supplies starter solenoid power.

Ignition OFF, pull the starter relay from the fusebox, then use a wire jumper to join the two large contacts in the bottom of the relay holder - this bypasses the neutral swith, clutch switch, security block, everything.

The car will either turn over or not. (won't start)

If it turns over, it's a switch, if it clacks loudly but no spin it's the starter motor, if it's just eerily quiet, it's the starter solenoid.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fiv3r
No corrosion on starter, there was corrosion on battery terminals i cleaned off though.
You did take them both off and clean the contact surfaces and retighten.....correct? Dusting off the top of the terminals does nothing. You might snap open the caps and check if distilled water is needed .....if it's near the top of plates.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:46 PM
Registered

Wont Crank...

Originally Posted by StealthTL
Is it an auto? Could be a neutral switch problem.

Easy way to check if the prob is in the actual solenoid and motor is to bypass the relay.

FIRST ensure if it's a manual it's out of gear!

Check the 30 amp 'ACC' fuse, this supplies starter solenoid power.

Ignition OFF, pull the starter relay from the fusebox, then use a wire jumper to join the two large contacts in the bottom of the relay holder - this bypasses the neutral swith, clutch switch, security block, everything.

The car will either turn over or not. (won't start)

If it turns over, it's a switch, if it clacks loudly but no spin it's the starter motor, if it's just eerily quiet, it's the starter solenoid.
Im having the same issue, however when i bypass the solenoid the motor did not crank but can here the starter spinning.
Old 06-18-2015, 05:18 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs up

I know this is an old thread but had the same problem. Turn the key (Dash lit up fine) and nothing. No click - nothing. I tried a different key thinking it was the dumb security key jazz acting up. Nope! Wiggle the stick in neutral - nothing. Cursed, let my blood pressure go to insane levels and just steamed. Tried starting it probably a 6 or 7 times. Then I stood on the clutch. Really pressing it down and bam... It started.

I've only drive this car a couple hundred miles and this is the first time I had a problem. Of course I was in a rush to get to some government building before 4:30 *Who closes at 4:30 when your a public agency. SIGH... I didn't make it on time so I can drive around all day tomorrow... Wait thats a good thing! Zoom Zoom and aloha from Minnesota.
The following users liked this post:
binsinLOL (08-05-2020)