Notices
Series I Tech Garage The place to discuss anything technical about the RX-8 that doesn't fit into any of the categories below.

Proper Relay Removal?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 08:15 AM
Flame On!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Proper Relay Removal?

Ok this is going to sound STUPID.... please bear with me.

What is the proper way (trick) to remove the starter/headlight/ignition relays? I managed to break 2 of them, one still kinda works, the other is completely destroyed. I tried pulling the starter relay out (was already damaged (cracked)) and now it's completely destroyed. The headlight relay (which I used as a substitute to get home) also cracked when I removed it, but it still works and allows me to start the car.

I first tried with my hands, no luck. Only tools I had on me were some really old pliers, and 2 Phillips Screwdrivers... So I put a rag around the starter relay to try to remove it. It came out but was destroyed in the process. It was stuck in there pretty good. So now I had no choice but to use the headlight relay. Well it too was stuck in there pretty tight, it cracked on the way out, but still worked. The real problem here is I go to work at 4am every day. So today I had to start the car, pull the starter relay and put it back in the headlight spot. Easy enough now that I only put the relay in enough for it to work. But for future references how do you remove them without damaging them?

Thank You
-Shawn
Old 02-24-2011, 08:40 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some relays are in there tight. You need one of these pliers to get them out. It grabs the corners of the relays, the strongest part of them.

http://www.amazon.com/Schley-98110-A...8558333&sr=8-4