Notices
Series I Tech Garage The place to discuss anything technical about the RX-8 that doesn't fit into any of the categories below.

Rebuild Kit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 03:08 PM
RotorHeads Unite!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rebuild Kit

I am looking for a rebuild kit that includes all the intake, exhaust, apex, pretty much all the seals on the engine, can anyone point me to a good link?

Thanks.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:49 PM
Zoom Zoom Addict

Originally Posted by Rx8_rotory_Noobie
I am looking for a rebuild kit that includes all the intake, exhaust, apex, pretty much all the seals on the engine, can anyone point me to a good link?

Thanks.
Good luck on rebuild.
http://www.mazdatrix.com/index8.htm
Old 05-06-2010, 07:41 PM
Administrator

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
http://www.rebuildingrotaryengines.com/
Old 05-07-2010, 09:22 AM
RotorHeads Unite!

I checked out those sites, but neither have a complete rebuild kit for the 13b multi port in the 04 rx8. any other suggestions?
Old 05-07-2010, 09:34 AM
Administrator

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
i was just pointing you towards the videos. call MazMart
Old 05-07-2010, 10:18 AM
Rotorheaded Geek

check out www.atkinsrotary.com, they have a nice Master Kit with everything.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:37 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Speaking from my little experience with rotary rebuilds i'd like to warn you that there is not a real "rebuild kit" that will work. There are good starting points that contain the basic seals and gaskets (see atkins', mazdatrix etc) but the truth is that you will not know what other parts will have to be replaced 'till you tear the block down.
Rotor bearings, gears, housings are a big question mark that may or may not make the rebuild price appealing.
If you were to change a housing and the bearings with the rebuild the price would change considerably, making a rebuilt engine from mazmart way more appealing. This is speaking both for the concrete price and the added "cost" of inexperience.
Cutting corners while doing a rebuild is never convenient!

Hope this helps!
G
Old 05-07-2010, 11:28 AM
Former Sponsor

Thanks.
http://atkinsrotary.com/store/catalo...t-p-17205.html

There is the "master" rebuild kit. If you have never done a rebuild my suggestion is to reach out to an exp builder for installation or help.

I am sure Charles would be happy to help work something out, he does travel to do work like this.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:58 AM
RotorHeads Unite!

Hey Thanks a ton guys, Im actually deployed right now, and my dad is doing the rebuild, I bought the porting templates from racing beat and he is doing that too, so i figured might as well replace all the seals and such too. I also need a new motor mount "rubber grommet" Any suggestions?

Looking at this rebuild kit, considering none of the seals or anything were burnt up, so replace the main components is my goal. http://www.atkinsrotary.com/store/pr...cat=629&page=1

Ill have my dad take a few pics once he pops it open, get some experienced eyes on it and see what you all think.

Last edited by Rx8_rotory_Noobie; 05-08-2010 at 09:07 AM.
Old 05-08-2010, 05:04 PM
Out of NYC

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Dont be cheap ... just replace all seals ...
Old 05-09-2010, 08:03 AM
Rotorheaded Geek

Ya, it's best to do all the seals. Also be careful when porting, the water jacket is right there by the ports.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:40 PM
RotorHeads Unite!

My buddies thats deployed with me down here, his dad owns rotary haven in VA so he knows alot about rotaries and porting and such, hes helping me out. i guess il just buy the entire rebuild kit, after being rebuilt, ported and bigger injectors, im gonna get the RB reflash, maybe add a few hp =D
Old 05-09-2010, 01:50 PM

If he owns the shop can't he simply tear your engine down and see what's needed?
Bigger injectors? a non modified turbo kit works fine with the stock ones.Your car is NA so i'd just go for a set of cleaned\flow matched stock injectors.
Old 05-09-2010, 03:39 PM
Registered

My buddies thats deployed with me down here, his dad owns rotary haven in VA so he knows alot about rotaries and porting and such, hes helping me out. i guess il just buy the entire rebuild kit, after being rebuilt, ported and bigger injectors, im gonna get the RB reflash, maybe add a few hp =D
Wrong, wrong and more wrong. Don't worry about porting there is nothing there but headaches. Your RX7 buddies will argue this until you tell them to LOOK at the Renesis irons. Depending on how smart they are and how much you challenge/dare them to find power the smart ones will realize that there is not material there for disposal. There is NOTHING to be had there. Don't fiddle with the injectors either. Additional hp is very, very expensive in this motor and there is no quick and easy hp gain for an n/a motor. It is NOT like the old 13B's with tons of material to grind on and NOT like a V-8 where you can up the compression and flow and add more fuel and headers and find gobs of power.

Trust me when I tell you that you'll spend more time just trying to get the car to run then you can imagine. The nature of your post prooves this as it is obviously to me that you've done very little research in the area of rebuild and aftermarket mods. May I suggest you look into this more closely and then you will most likely change your thought process to stock. If you want a car with an engine to mod and find 20, 30, 50 horse you've picked the wrong platform my good friend.

If you can prove me wrong I'll cut you a check for $10K which I'll never mail because there are no significant gains to be had into and inside this motor. Intake, exhaust, aftermarket tuning is your best bet. Add a fresh motor and you might get an additional 25-30 hp depending on your current compression. If your motor is already refreshed (properly) you'll probably get 10-15 additional hp (Guys---chime in here---I am skewed by our big nasty exhaust and the power it delivers and am wondering if this is a fair estimate).

If your dad is going to get into the motor I strongly suggest getting an engine repair manual. Also, look into the cost of the aluminum rotor housings (2 of them) as it is normal for apex seal wear on these items. You'll need the manual to understand the correct measuring procedure to see if they are out of whack---same for the irons. The irons are the ones I'd be looking at closely as these things may have developed wear marks and you may need 3 irons. Again, the meaurement procedures are all in the manual.

I can tell you how to make 210 chassis hp on a dynojet but it will cost you about $3K in parts plus a fresh engine labor not included. Get the picture yet?

Hopefully this has shed some light and you'll not go down the path of "oh crap what the hell did I get myself into". Again, tell your porting buddies to do thier homework. OR......ask Racing Beat to prove their porting gains (or any other engine jockey out there). Double dog dare you to prove that porting gains anything measureable.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:04 PM
RotorHeads Unite!

Hey thanks for the input Eric, every piece of info helps, i think im still gonna go thru with the porting tho, if all els fails, theres always new engines out there if it ***** up the engine, i can always just save up for a few months and throw a 20b in there.

Im not EXTREMELY knowledgable when it comes to the renesis but i think i have upgraded correctly: 09 Tranny, Exedy S2 Clutch, Prolite Flywheel, RB Ram Air Duct, RB Intake,RB Header, RB Cat Replacement Straight Pipe, RB Cat Back, ZexSmart Wet Nitrous Kit-55 Shot, Koni Shocks. With the reflash RB says the rpms will top out at 10.5k With that, the porting, the rebuild, bigger injectors and boosting the nos from 55 to 75 shot im sure i will feel an improvement.

I wont be the type to argue and say oh well ur wrong, ill just do these things and tell you how it turns out.

My dad is following the manual closely, i ordered it from mazdatrix. Plus the website that Zoom44 supplied should help him out quite a bit.

Once again thanks for the input guys. Still cant find a site where i can buy a new rubber grommet for the motor mount tho. Any help?

Also, nice to see another indiana boy in the house =] Im from Greencastle, about 30 minutes east of Terre Haute.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:30 PM
Modulated Moderator

Received 334 Likes on 289 Posts
Upping the RPM to 10.5K will do nothing but cause you a world of grief......

you will find little above 8.5K ...even ported to justify the hugely increased loads put on the engine by spinning it that fast....

Good luck on your build though..and we would love to see us proven wrong....
Old 05-09-2010, 04:35 PM
Asshole for hire

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
With the reflash RB says the rpms will top out at 10.5k With that, the porting, the rebuild, bigger injectors and boosting the nos from 55 to 75 shot im sure i will feel an improvement.
what dan said, potential gains at that rpm do not outweigh the cost. bearing stress increases exponentially as rpm rises.

also how you going to control ignition with 75 shot?
Old 05-09-2010, 06:44 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Good luck is all I can say. I've ported the Renesis. And really there is not much room to increase port size. All you can basically do is port a little on the intermidiate housing on the primary ports.
Bigger injectors will do nothing for you with no engine managment. And then you'll just be cutting them back to around stock flow. They can supply more fuel than the engine can handle stock.
The thing about the Renesis is Mazda made the intake and exhaust ports about 99% maximum on flow already.
And good luck with the 75 shot. You need to control fuel and timing to get that shot to work. And I know of no MT 8's out there using it. I had an AT with a 75 shot. It was the only one.
Mazdamaniac and I spent as lot of time tuning it with the AccessPort to operate safely. 6 port is a whole different game. Especially if your not using any type of engine management system.
Congratulations if it works, or I will be reading about a new engine for you in the future again.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:33 AM
Registered

Please give me the name of the person at MazdaTrix who is sharing this engine information with you. If they are endorsing this build they should be asked to have their head examined. No offense to anyone at MazdaTrix because I think someone has put LSD in your Cheerios bro.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:50 AM
RotorHeads Unite!

Where did i say i got information from anyone at mazdatrix? I said i bought the RX8 workshop manual and my dad is using it to assist in the rebuild....

And as for the porting, i dont think RB is gonna sell a porting template that is gonna mess up my engine.

Last edited by Rx8_rotory_Noobie; 05-10-2010 at 07:55 AM.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:17 AM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
Dude--- keep you head down and butt tucked while you are deployed.
After reading I am wondering why dont you just do a low boost FI install? Youll have the drivability and the power you are looking for.
The 09 trans will really shine with the fi set up. Its one of the best things i have ever did to this car.
OD
Old 05-10-2010, 12:28 PM
RotorHeads Unite!

Hey thanks old dragger, my head is low =D What is a FI? Sorry if thats a stupid question.

Charles, no idea what that means.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:30 PM
The Angry Wheelchair

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FI = Forced Induction, namely meaning Turbocharger or Supercharger
Old 05-10-2010, 12:34 PM
RotorHeads Unite!

I see! Lol, never heard it called that, maybe i live under a rock or something, haha. Well, i figured i would upgrade as much as possible before boosting the 8, but from what i hear, the way i have upgraded and with the porting, it should be pretty well set up for boost. Then just drop the nos, tune up the psi a little and maybe ill have a fast car :O
Old 05-11-2010, 06:56 AM
Registered

Sorry----racing beat. Good luck brother.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rebuild Kit