Notices
Series I Tech Garage The place to discuss anything technical about the RX-8 that doesn't fit into any of the categories below.

Fuel Sending Unit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 01:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Sending Unit

I have a 2004 RX8 and I've been having issues with the fuel guage. It seems to work fine up to the halfway mark and after that it stops working. I ran over something on that road that hit the fuel tank and damaged the fuel pump on the driver side which I replaced and I thought the fuel sending unit was part of the fuel pump so I thought the gauge would be fixed once I replace the fuel pump but the problem is still there. Any ideas? From what I understand the car has two sending units and one of seems to be working fine because it works ok up to halfway point. It has to be the one on the driver side. Does anyone have pictures of the sending unit or the location of it so I could get an idea of what to look for?
Old 03-08-2010, 09:18 AM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
dude the wire that crosses over to the other side of the tank is supposed to fit into a little slot. its easy to dislodge it and if you do, it can get tangled on the fuel sensor (the floating one)set up. It may not let the float go to the top and in some cases it may not let the float go all the way to the bottom.
Remove the pump and look at the wire.
OD
Old 03-08-2010, 06:52 PM
Modulated Moderator

Received 334 Likes on 289 Posts
There are 2 sending units..one in each side...they both mount on to a bayonet type mount. There are 2 wires that go from the drivers side one and attach to the fuel pump assembly...and through that to the plug. The passenger side one attaches to the port lid/, and through that to the plug and wiring harness

It is possible that one side wires are not hooked up properly..or the siphon tube is interfering with the movement of the floats

The wires are very small, and easily broken if they are stressed when removing the pump, or from any damage
Old 03-17-2010, 06:34 AM

hey ive been getting the EXACT same problem. is there any updates to this issue. I'm from Australia and I don't really want to take it to the Mazda Stealership.

need fix please
Old 03-17-2010, 10:32 AM
Modulated Moderator

What happened to yours? It would be unlikely to be a problem unless someone had the fuel tank open

Either that or one of the 2 sensors has failed......
Old 03-18-2010, 06:26 PM

Well mine progressively failed to work...

it started by running out of gas at 1/8th (middle of last quarter) of a full tank.
then it started to run out at 3/8th (middle of second last quarter) of a full tank.

When I fill the tank up it works all the way up to the full line.

That's what happened to mine.

I also tried opening the tank where the fuel pump and sending unit would be, BUT i couldnt get the big screw lid off.

Any ideas?
Old 03-18-2010, 07:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by dannobre
There are 2 sending units..one in each side...they both mount on to a bayonet type mount. There are 2 wires that go from the drivers side one and attach to the fuel pump assembly...and through that to the plug. The passenger side one attaches to the port lid/, and through that to the plug and wiring harness

It is possible that one side wires are not hooked up properly..or the siphon tube is interfering with the movement of the floats

The wires are very small, and easily broken if they are stressed when removing the pump, or from any damage

IF you were to damage one of those wires how would one go about replacing them?
Old 03-19-2010, 12:52 AM
Modulated Moderator

You could repair it with a crimp and some heat shrink...gas is relatively non-conductive..so that isn't a worry

The sensor is removable....think they want a fortune to buy new ones though...ask around..there are a lot of wrecked cars...and I doubt the fuel tank is a hot commodity
Old 03-19-2010, 02:05 AM

true they sell cheap ( partsgroup.com )
Old 08-30-2011, 01:50 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Had to wake this Topic up hopefully somebody answers, There are 2 plastic pig tails that hook onto the tank, one has 2 wires and the other has 4 wires. WHICH one plugs into the Fuel Pump Assembly, NOT the Sending unit assembly?
Old 10-15-2012, 11:29 AM
Registered

any success with this? i believe im having the same issue.